12.19.2009

CREAM CHEESE COOKIES!!!

 Alas.
Now, one of my favorite people in the entire world, Kristen, is gluten intolerant so I made mine gluten free.  They are really yummy, but definitely not the cream cheese cookies I grew up on.  I'm pretty sure most yellow cake mixes are vegan.  Besides not having vegan sugar, I didn't see any animal products in the Duncan Hines yellow cake mix.  It just depends how "healthy" you want these to be.  If you don't mind partially hydrogenated oils for special occasions, go for it.  I get my yellow cake mix at whole foods.

Because I used a gluten-free vanilla cake mix, my cookies didn't come out yellow.  But yours will.  Not only will these be THE favorite at your holiday parties, they will probably be the easiest cookie to make.  This will most likely be the only time I'll do this, but these are so good, that I'm going to put the non-vegan option here as well (in red).  Ok enough talking!!!

Ingredients
1⁄4 Cup margarine, room temp
1 1⁄2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer  (1 egg yolk)
8 oz cream cheese, room temp (tofutti is the best)
1 box yellow cake mix (18.25 oz)
1⁄4 tsp vanilla
1⁄2 Tbsp almond milk (no milk if using the egg yolk)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cream butter and cream cheese.  Blend in egg replacer and milk (or just the egg yolk) and vanilla.  Add cake mix, 1⁄3 at a time.  Chill for at least 30 minutes.  Or overnight.  This will make them soft and gooey.
2. Spoon onto a greased baking sheet.  They don't have to be as far apart as mine, they don't spread too much.
(couldn't decide which picture I like  better)

3. Bake for 6-8 minutes.  They will look uncooked, but when you take them out of the oven, they will still cook on the cookie sheet for another minute or two.  Don't over-cook (like I did with my first batch..oops!)!!  Let cool on the baking sheet.  Good luck keeping them around for too long.



Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment